Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Liver problems(Oh-oh)

I just got my results from my recent annual check-up, and everything's OK (urine, stool) except for my SGPT, which was almost double the normal values.

I wasn't too concerned at first (I thought it had something to do with having just one kidney), until Dr. Sarao, a scion of the famous family that produced the best Philippine jeepneys said "Boy, you have some damage in your liver"

NOTE: Definition of SGPT
Serum glutamic pyruvic transaminase, an enzyme that is normally present in liver and heart cells. SGPT is released into blood when the liver or heart are damaged. The blood SGPT levels are thus elevated with liver damage (for example, from viral hepatitis) or with an insult to the heart (for example, from a heart attack). Some medications can also raise SGPT levels. Also called alanine aminotransferase (ALT).


Liver damage? Eckkk!!! Is it due to my years of eating adobo(with matching rice with adobo grease and bagoong)?

Well fortunately the Doc said this isn't that serious and is reversable. He asked me to take Essentiale Caps (ang sosyal ng name) once a day which aids in liver regeneration. Also, I'm trying to cut down on meat (I'm in my low salt-low protein-lots of water diet in preparation for my creatinine exam next month), that should help.



Nothing like a good before and after photo to scare you shitless back to health.

No comments: